About Gary John Will Anderson Club
The City of Gary is where it all began fifty years ago through a vision of a “positive place” for young men to go to engage in worthwhile and productive activities.
Prominent people such as Paul Guist, Sid Holub, Robert Salvaggi, Uno Larson and Bill Messics made such a vision become a reality. Their efforts led to the incorporation of the Steel City Boys’ Clubs of Gary, Indiana on August 17, 1954. Edwin Van Billiard of Boys’ Clubs of America presented these individuals with an official charter in 1955.
In the beginning, the Club operated in Beveridge School in Tolleston and, in 1956, another Club was opened in Webster School in Glen Park and was known as the Glen Park Boys Club.
In 1958, yet another Club was opened in the Tri-City Housing project and the Glen Park Club moved to the Basement of the Assyrian Church.
In 1965, these three Clubs were merged together when Mr. John W. Anderson purchased the old Moose Lodge at 7th and Adams and donated this facility to the Boys’ Clubs. The Club, changing its name to the John Will Anderson Boys Club and complete with a bowling alley, operated in this facility for many years until 1976 when the Club moved to the former YMCA at 225 West 5th Avenue where it remains today – now with a swimming pool instead of a bowling alley.
In 2000, the John Will Anderson Club received a $1.3 million facelift, which included renovation of the pool, expansion of the teen center, installation of windows in classrooms, new efficient heating and air conditioning units, as well as new paint, carpet and furniture. The overhaul updated the building making it more child-friendly