What We Do > Our Programs
OUR FORMULA FOR POSITIVE YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Indiana provides targeted programs to young people who need us most. The Clubhouse environment fulfills the following elements that foster effective youth development and empower our young people to succeed:
- A Safe place to play, laugh, discover and learn during out-of-school/after-school and summer
- Fun activities that foster connections to peers and staff
- Life Changing programs that help youth advance in three key outcome areas
- Opportunities to build new skills so that kids can succeed and receive recognition for personal accomplishments
- Ongoing Supportive relationships with caring adults that foster a sense of belonging, responsibility, civility, and civic engagement
OUR KEY OUTCOMES AREAS
The positive, enriching Club experience helps each of our members make progress toward our priority outcomes:
- Academic Success programs ensure that our members have the support they need to succeed throughout their academic life and graduate from high school ready to pursue college or a career
- Good Character & Citizenship programs offer our members opportunities to develop leadership capabilities and make a difference in their community
- Healthy Lifestyles programs encourage our members to adopt a healthy diet, practice positive lifestyle choices and make a lifelong commitment to fitness
Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Indiana program outcomes demonstrate the positive impact we are having in our communities.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Indiana provide life-changing services to young people in 6 different areas of the Region: Cedar Lake, East Chicago, Gary, Hammond, Lake Station, and Merrillville.
The best way to understand what Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Indiana can do is through the stories of young people whose lives have been changed by being a member of the Club.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Indiana’s Academic Success programs ensure that our members have the support they need to succeed throughout their academic life and graduate from high school ready to pursue college or a career.
- Encourages engagement in learning at an early age
- Complements regular school-day activities
- Enhances academic performance
- Fosters positive study habits and self-discipline
- Provides guidance and resources to keep members on track as they transition through school and on to college
Clubs provide homework help and academic enrichment, mentors young people who are at risk for dropping out of school, offers resources so members can build their computer and technology skills, and guides members to explore potential careers and navigate the college application process.
GOOD CHARACTER & CITIZENSHIP
Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Indiana’s Good Character & Citizenship programs offer our members opportunities to develop leadership capabilities and make a difference in their community.
- Promotes the development of a positive self-image and strong character
- Teaches positive and effective strategies for responding to conflict
- Encourages the development of meaningful relationships with others
- Empowers youth to support and influence their Club and community
- Teaches respect for both their own and others’ cultures
Service projects encourage members to become caring, responsible members of their community, while young people cultivate their leadership skills by organizing clothes and food drives, volunteering at public events, and leading projects in their neighborhoods. And teen members participate in the Youth of the Year program, the premier national recognition program for Boys & Girls Clubs of America members, which honors and celebrates young people who have distinguished themselves by rising above challenging circumstances.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Indiana’s Healthy Lifestyles programs encourage our members to adopt a healthy diet, practice positive lifestyle choices and make a lifelong commitment to fitness.
- Promotes the importance of leading a healthy and productive lifestyle
- Encourages positive decision-making for physical, social and emotional development
- Teaches good sportsmanship
- Teaches social and interpersonal skills
- Educates members and their families on the importance of life-long healthy decision-making and behaviors
Members participate in daily fitness challenges, and enjoy a wide range of intramural sports activities in the Club gyms, pools and dance facilities. The Clubs provide healthy food to our members every day, help young people make nutrition and wellness habits a daily practice, and empower youth to avoid tobacco, alcohol and drugs.